How to get TeamViewer working on a TalkTalk users’ PC
Long story short TalkTalk has a system (HomeSafe) to block scammers from connecting to users’ PCs via remote software. You can read more on it here.
Below are two methods of bypassing this which will allow us to connect on via TeamViewer (this applies to ANY connection, anyone else using TeamViewer will also be able to after these steps.
Changing to Google/CloudFlare DNS
The first and quickest way is changing the local DNS on the machine to point to Google or CloudFlare.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre> Change adapter settings.
- Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
- To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
- To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
- Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
- 18.104.22.168 and/or 22.214.171.124.
- Hit OK and try to connect using TeamViewer again. You may have to reboot or run the “ipconfig /flushdns” command in an elevated command prompt session.
Changing the setting in TalkTalk’s ‘My Account’ page
This is the ‘official’ method and TalkTalk would probably prefer you using this… But it’s longer and needs the user to have their My Account details handy.
To turn HomeSafe ON
You’ll have the choice to activate Kids Safe, Homework Time and Virus Alerts. To do this you’ll need to click the ON switch (which will be highlighted green when active). It’s important when switching on Kidsafe and Homework Time that you confirm this setting by clicking the blue save changes button. Please note: it will take a few minutes for your changes to take effect.
To turn HomeSafe OFF
HomeSafe® protects your whole home online over every device connected to your TalkTalk broadband.
To keep you safe online we strongly recommend you keep Homesafe switched on, however, should you need to switch it off for any reason, follow the steps below.
- Log into My Account
- Select View HomeSafe settings from the My services drop down menu bar
- Here it will show you what is currently turned on/off.
- Choose your areas to switch off next to any of the three options. For Kids Safe, you’ll see a prompt asking if you’re sure you want to switch it off. Simply click the blue button (Turn Kidsafe OFF) to confirm and allow a few minutes for your changes to take effect.
Here is a summary of what each category does.
Kids Safe offers nine categories of websites, allowing you to easily block some or all of them. When you activate Kids Safe, you’ll see prompts to help you decide which categories to block.
Homework Time gives you the option to block sites such as gaming websites that commonly distract your children. The default settings will block the websites between 16:30 hrs and 18:00 hrs or you can set your own time period anytime between Monday to Friday or 7 days a week.
Virus Alerts ensure that every computer or device connected to your TalkTalk broadband can be better protected. This is thanks to the warning system, which lets you know when a website you’re trying to access is infected with a virus and advises you not to continue.