A “hosted server” simply means a virtual server that exists on dedicated or shared physical hardware. These virtual servers exist to provide one or all line of business applications to users. The physical hardware will exist at a location with good physical security, a provision for maintaining the airflow needed to run the hardware reliably, and with a focus on stability and resilience of power and Internet connectivity.
The Windows server operating system allows remote connectivity by users to a session on a hosted server. The remote environment that runs the combination of line of business applications and hosted solutions is built and supported for the customer by Albacore.
A hosted server can be expanded from one or more line of business applications to include Microsoft Office applications and would then exist as a full remote working environment for the users.
Freight industry customers requiring connectivity to CHIEF for customs declarations can trust in Albacore’s decades of experience in the provision and support of those links within a hosted server.
Once businesses grasp the advantages of having a consistent remote working environment with all their applications, connectivity and customizations in one place a hosted server makes a lot of sense.
Here are some of the many advantages:
- Moving customer premises is easier because server hardware doesn’t need to move
- Remote access is built in, allowing selected employees to work from home
- Expensive and disruptive server hardware renewals and upgrades are generally built in to a solution
- Expansion of the system in terms of branches or hardware expansion can be as simple as agreeing the charges and restarting the servers.
- Hosted servers provide cost-effective security benefits to businesses through the rollout of tighter security policy on the network.
- Company data is more easily retained on a hosted server than a traditional client/server network
- Files stored on the hosted platform can be synced to local computers for offline access
- It’s easier for users to print reports, including specialist documents, to a connected branch office or warehouse facility
- Users can work in the environment they are used to from any branch office or any Internet connected location. This provides flexibility and business continuity benefits to the business
- Hosted systems run on enterprise level server hardware that is more reliable, and there is generally resilience in server hardware within the facility that creates fault tolerance and increases availability of the hosted servers.